[Tweeters] off-topic amphibian question

vogelfreund at comcast.net vogelfreund at comcast.net
Wed Mar 16 01:36:57 PDT 2011

March 16th '11

Well, it's about time for my little two cents worth. I got a BA degree, partly on the old GI Bill, after I retired from the army; up here in Bellingham (that's why I'm still here). Anyway, I was in a Biology class back in the 1990's or late '80s. We were on a short distance field trip to our local Lake Padden Park; off trail over the ridge. Along with two Ruffed Grouse, we students discovered a small salamander in the leaf litter on the side of the slope. I took a snapshot of it in someone's hand, but it is a bit far away. After eliminating other species, I came up later with it tentatively being a Northwestern Salamander. The closest open water was a (temporary rain?) puddle at the bottom of the slope.

Phil Hotlen
Bellingham, WA