[Tweeters] Edmonds: Eurasian Wigeon, etc.

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 12:03:25 PST 2011

High water in the Edmonds Marsh this morning (11-13-11) provided quiet
dabbling for a flock of American Wigeons with one Eurasian Wigeon
drake among them. There was also a small flock of Green-winged Teals,
some Killdeer, and a couple of Great Blue Herons. We noted the wigeons
from the Point Edwards path so I decided to go to the north side of
the marsh and put up the scope. I just got the scope set up and was
aiming at the wigeons when they all startled and flew away, probably
to the pond on the south side of the marsh that can't be seen from the
north side. An adult Bald Eagle landed and stood in the middle of the
marsh for a while. The eagle appeared to be what flushed the wigeons
but its presence had no effect on the teals or Killdeer. Eurasian
Wigeon is a rare occurrence at the marsh.

Second best bird of the morning was Sanderling. We watched from the
public pier as four flew north. Ducks on the Sound included one
Harlequin, all three scoters, two Bufflehead, several Common Goldeneye
and several Red-breasted Mergansers. We watched one Pacific Loon
preening on the water and had about five other loon fly-bys. They
looked to be Common Loons. Grebes included Pied-billed (one in the
marina), Horned, Red-necked, and Western. It was a six-gull morning
with Bonaparte's, Heermann's (numbers are predictably decreasing),
Mew, one Western, one California, and Glaucous-winged. Alcids were
Common Murre (maybe 20-30), Pigeon Guillemot, and Rhinoceros Auklet
(the most abundant alcid this morning).

Another bird of interest at Point Edwards was one adult Myrtle among
the Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Carol Riddell