[Tweeters] tripod repair question

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 12:17:17 PST 2011

Dear Tweeters,

Last year I repaired my Manfrotto/Bogen tripod head by ordering a part from them and installing it. It wasn't too hard.

Now I have a repair question about the legs, if anybody out there in Tweeterdom knows ought about such.

A few months ago when I fell in a ditch, I ended up with three tripod legs full of saltwater and mud. I took the feet off to drain them. Then I raced off, as I was in a hurry to tick a rare bird that Ryan Merrill had phoned me about.

When I got to the site, one leg wouldn't slide up and down. I yanked on it--and the leg came right out in my hand! I noticed a torn-up little plastic bushing of sorts, shredded pretty badly, and hastily stuffed the remains of the bushing somewhere. I never did figure out where it was I stuffed it.

The main thing at that moment was, I saw the bird!

I also noticed that the tripod leg would now come all the way off in my hand whenever I'd loosen the leg-length adjustment fittings. Normally, of course, when a tripod leg is loosened, each of the two telescoping sections falls down to its maximum extent, staying there. I reckon the bushing was there to keep the legs from falling out altogether. I really can't figure out how that works, but the bushing must have something to do with it.

I am pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate a replacement bushing out of any old tough plastic, such as that nasty stuff that products come wrapped in these days. Manfrotto sells replacement parts, but they charge heinous prices. I'm sure they'd be happy to ding me for ten or fifteen bucks for about twelve grams of plastic.

If there's anybody out there have any experience with this particular repair, please contact me with your tips--before I get out the tools!

Mandatory bird sighting follows: 280 Cackling Geese on the corner of SR 20 and Gardner Road, just east of Burlington, Skagit County, today (Thanksgiving 2011). Also, three Wilson's Snipe at Anacortes Street Pond in Burlington.

A Happy Meleagris gallopavo Day to one and all!

Yours truly,

Gary

Gary Bletsch Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA garybletsch at yahoo.com Mentre che li occhi per la fronda verde
ficcava ïo sì come far suole
chi dietro a li uccellin sua vita perde, lo più che padre mi dicea: «Figliuole,
vienne oramai, ché ’l tempo che n’è imposto
più utilmente compartir si vuole».