[Tweeters] White-winged Crossbills on Mt. Spokane-25 November

Andy Stepniewski steppie at nwinfo.net
Sun Nov 27 20:26:11 PST 2011

We walked up the first mile of the snowy road to Mt. Spokane from the
Selkirk Lodge parking lot. Our best find was a flighty flock of 40
WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS. I was first alerted to these bird by their call
notes, a distinctive "chif-chif-chif" with an inflective quality. We had
fantastic views of males perched atop naked larch trees, their rosy hues and
white-wing bars showing nicely.These birds seemed most closely tied to the
Western Larch trees in the forest here. Perhaps, this species is having a
good cone crop. Here's our list:

Bald Eagle 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Common Raven 30
Mountain Chickadee 6
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
Brown Creeper 1
Pacific Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 5
Red Crossbill 5
White-winged Crossbill 40 Flock at 1/2 mile along summit track.

Pine Siskin 3

Andy and Ellen Stepniewski

Wapato WA

steppie at nwinfo.net