[Tweeters] Dunlin Study at Port Susan and Skagit Bay

Megan Westervelt megan.pettebone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 19:57:29 PST 2011

Dear Tweeters,

Looking to volunteer this winter? Do you want to volunteer and bird at the same time?

Pilchuck Audubon Society is working with Ruth Milner from Department of Fish and Wildlife in an over-ocean flocking research project. Typically Dunlin roost at high tide, but with the increase population of Peregrine Falcons it is believed that many of these shorebirds are flying for lengthy times instead to avoid predation.

We have chosen six sites along Port Susan and Skagit Bay to try and observe these behaviors this winter. We are asking volunteers to observe in daylight hours, 2-3 hours around high tide. Volunteers would scan every 15 minutes to note if there are Dunlin present and if they are flying or roosting. They would also observe raptors and any responses the shorebirds might have with the raptor.

We have a volunteer meeting coming up on Tuesday, December 6th at 7 pm. It will be held at the Department of Fish & Wildlife Office in Mill Creek. The address is 16018 Mill Creek Blvd. We would like all our volunteers to make the meeting, but I can email the details if you cannot make it.

We are currently looking at filling positions for December 17-23 and January 17-19. We will be asking volunteers to stay in one location for a 2-3 hour period around high tide. We also would like at least 2 volunteers at each site.

If you think you may be interested in volunteering for the project, email me, megan.pettebone at gmail.com or call 401-662-7545 for more details. Or if you can attend the meeting, please let me know so I can get a rough head count. If you would like to read more about the Dunlin project, you can find the article "PAS partners with biologist to study Dunlin" on page 4 in our recent newsletter.

Thank you for your time and hopefully I will see you at the meeting!

Megan Westervelt-Pettebone