[Tweeters] Snowy Owl in Hawaii??????

Bud Anderson falconresearch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:09:22 PST 2011

A friend just sent me this post. Can anyone confirm?

Subject: Re: [HawaiiBirding] Snowy Owl at Honolulu International Airport
To: hawaiibirding at yahoogroups.com

An update on the owl.--it was at Honolulu International
Airport on Nov 24, not Nov 28. I have received a photo of the
bird, and it is undoubtedly a Snowy Owl, the first record for
the region.

Peter Donaldson
pdnldsn.bird 'at' mac 'dot' com
Pearl City, Oahu, Hawaii

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Donaldson Peter <pdnldsn.bird at mac.com>

> Subject: [HawaiiBirding] Snowy Owl at Honolulu International Airport

> On Monday, Nov 28, a white owl was seen by control tower

> personnel at Honolulu International Airport and reported to

> Wildlife Services. The Wildlife Services folks tried to chase

> the owl away from the runways with no success. The owl

> was shot and killed when it remained on one of the runways

> as an aircraft was approaching. Based on the description,

> I am confident it was a Snowy Owl. The carcass will be

> brought to Bishop Museum.

> Peter Donaldson

Bud Anderson
Falcon Research Group