[Tweeters] August 2011 turkey vulture report (longish)

Diann MacRae tvulture at vei.net
Sat Oct 1 17:16:31 PDT 2011

Hi, Tweets

Well, I guess 28 September came through as
usually advertised this year - even after I
wondered early on where all the vultures were.
They are still passing through the Pacific
Northwest so keep checking. I appreciate all the
reports and am glad so many people are seeing
these very neat birds. Following is the September
- with a bit of August thrown in - report from
Washington and Oregon. What happened to British Columbia, I wonder.

Cheers, Diann

Diann MacRae
Olympic Vulture Study
22622 - 53rd Avenue S.E.
Bothell, WA 98021
tvulture at vei.net

September 2011 tweeters reports + a few from August

August 2011
09 -- 10 at Midway Beach; 5 at Beach North of North Cove
17 -- 6 at Taholah area; 8 at Humptulips/Aberdeen
19 -- 6 at Humptulips/Aberdeen
29 – 1 over Soos Creek

September
01 – 1 over Theler
02 – 2 over Midway Beach; 2 over I-5, Snohomish
County; 12 leaving their roost between Chinook
and Ilwaco; between 2-5 Sept. 5 below Tatoosh Ridge; 4 soaring over Deer Harbor
03 – 3 circling over a cow pasture in Littlerock
04 – 1-3 over Ridgefield NWR; 2 over midtown Portland, Oregon
05 – 11 over Ridgefield NWR; 15 at Port Susan – a
kettle working the flats others perched on driftwood
06 – 1 over Theler wetlands; 12 or so in two
kettles over the Snohomish River bridge/Hwy 522
07 – 50-80 summering at Malheur NWR
09 – 3 over Eastsound; 10 at Midway Beach; 5 at beach north of North Cove
11 – 12 circling near Lake Kapowsin; 1 over
Monroe; 7 near Millersylvania Park; 1 southeast
of Elma; 1 at the Grays Harbor/Thurston county line
13 – 5 over the Wynoochee River bridge; 1 over Hwy 12 at Satsop
14 – 1 over ridge west of Aberdeen; 1 across from Westport Winery
15 – 1 east of Ocean Shores
16 – 1 at the Monte-Brady turnoff; 5 on Sauvie
Island w/one feeding on roadkill opossom; 5 west
of Rainier; 40+ in a tree between Randle and Packwood
17 – 2 juveniles (dark, not red heads) at Steep
Point; 201 throughout the valley near Albany,
Oregon; 6 at Taholah Area; 8 between Humptulips/Aberdeen
18 – 1 at Thorpe; 106 at NAMC/Jefferson County, Oregon
19 – 1 flying between two sea lion carcasses
north of Ocean Shores; 6 between Humptulips/Aberdeen
20 – 1 juvenile flying down Hwy 109, 20’ above
road bed (bad idea); 1 at Ellensburg; 1 at
Roslyn; 3 over the Chehalis-Western Bike Trail
21 – 1 flying above Damon Road
22 – 2 circling Olympia
23 – 1 over Wiggins Road, Olympia
24 – 1 cruising by condos near the Ballard Locks; 12 near Wenas
25 – 1 over Eastgate/I/90; 8 gliding southwest east of Budd Inlet
26 – 1 checking for eats at the Theler Wetlands;
61 – 23 at treetop level north of the Lewis
River, 7 headed south near Kalama, 31 throught
the valley west of Longview; 15+ at Haas Creek
campground; 2 gorgeous birds over the Goose
Hollow neighborhood, Portland; 8 over Battle Ground
27 – 1 over south-central Oregon; 25-30 coming
out of Ronald Bog, Shoreline; 17 over south Fox
Island; 30 flying slowly over Seattle’s waterfront
28 – 1 wheeling over Portland in the morning’s
drizzle; 22 gliding south over Portland with a
possible black vulture in one group of 6;
Portland RBA – turkey vulture movements were
conspicuous; 300-350 in an hour over Woodland; 1
over the Humptulips Bridge; 2 in the Monte-Brady
area; 5 circling a field near Elma; 1 over the
Ranch House BBQ east of Olympia (yum)
29 – 1 over Spearfish Lake; 15 kettling over the
Peone Wetland, north Spokane County; 1 between
Ocean Shores/Hoquiam; 1 at Monte-Brady Loop exit.