[Tweeters] Bohemian Waxwings Silver Star Mt. Clark/Skamania Cos.

washingtonbirder.Ken Knittle washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 1 19:29:11 PDT 2011

Tom Mansfield and I started at Ridgefield NWR at 7:03 am when the gate opened. Birds seen at the refuge were lots of Greater White-fronted Geese, Sandhill Cranes, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 4 Long-billed Dowitchers, and 2 Peregrine Falcons. We checked Woodland Bottoms and found a dull Merlin. Then headed up to Silver Star Mountain by way of Sunset Falls. We passed lots of Western Screech-Owl habitat south of Sunset Falls State Park. The parking area is in Skamania Co. Clark County is west a ways from this point. We had 2 Gray Jays, 2 Purple Finches, 5 Bohemian Waxwings (heard first then saw), plus other common birds like Evening Grosbeaks, Varied Thrush, Robins, Cooper's Hawk. We watched the Gray Jays fly from down below in Clark Co. to Skamania Co. The Bohemian Waxwings were first in Skamania County then flew west down below us into Clark Co. This is a County First for Clark Co. Heading down the mountain on DNR-1100 Road we stoped in an old clear cut and saw a Lincoln's Sparrow which seemed out of place. Also a flock of 30+ Band-tailed Pigeons. We finished the day at the flushing channel at Vancouver Lake where there were 2 Great Egrets, and 3 Common Terns. Also 2 Caspian Terns.

Ken
Knittle

Vancouver WA
98665 mailto:washingtonbirder.com