[Tweeters] Possible Townsend's Solitaire, West Seattle

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Sun Oct 2 20:19:02 PDT 2011

Hello Tweets,

The sound of a bell-like "PIP…PIP…PIP…" helped my partner and me eventually find this drab-looking bird with a long tail and an eye-ring. (Of course, it went silent just as we got to where we might see it.) I'd been hearing that call for perhaps the last week in the central part of the park, but couldn't find the bird itself until today. I don't remember ever seeing this bird in Lincoln Park and didn't know what it was, so I sent the photos to a birder friend with more expertise, who called it as a Townsend's Solitaire.

A search of the Tweeters archives suggests there was a sighting of a Townsend's Solitaire in Magnuson park twice this spring, but I didn't find other reports of Seattle sightings.

Is this a lucky-for-me fall migrant? Or are they more common than that and I just haven't noticed them before? Or could it be a different kind of bird entirely?

Photos are on my Flickr site at www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh. (I have a couple hundred more if you'd like different perspectives!)

Good birding to all,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
Lincoln Park, West Seattle
Natural history blog: Naturalpresence.wordpress.com
Photos: Flickr.com/photos/trileigh