Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:44:33 PDT 2011

I went out this afternoon trying to relocate the Commencement Bay *BLACK-TAILED
GUL*L. I parked at the Dick Gilmur Shoreline Access point and scoped the
closest logs to the shore starting from the left. I was able to locate "the"
gull on the third log south from the 90 degree corner. This log is the first
to still have bark on it. There were lots of gulls out there and it was the
second bird from the edge of the log. Suggest you start scoping from the
right! There is a noticeable increase of *Mew Gulls*. I also had at least
one *Thayer's Gull*.
Other than the darker mantle, what drew my attention, was the longer bill
with the black band and the white forehead. It happened to be standing up
and had its head up. I could not make out the red tip in the dull lighting
conditions. It took a few minutes to get a good look at the diagnostic tail.
Most gulls were most cooperative today, by having their tails point towards
shore, but not all were clearly visible. I also viewed the gull from the
viewpoint at the house at 5118 Marine View Drive, the one with the feeders.

>From this angle the tail with the white terminal band was clearly visible.

By the way, the bird would like to apologize to all birders it was unable to
meet with yesterday, due to an extended lunch engagement at the mouth of the
Puyallup. As they say down yonder: "Y'all come back now, hear!"

*Hans Feddern*
Twin Lakes/Federal Way, WA
thefedderns at gmail.com