[Tweeters] South Coast Birding 9/29-9/30

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 21:38:10 PDT 2011

Tom Mansfield and I birded the south coast on Sept 29th & 30th where
there were quite a few birds including the following:

Greater White-fronted x Cackling Goose - 1 at Bay Center on 9/29

Bar-tailed Godwit - 3+ (!) adults at Westport and 1 juv at Tokeland on 9/29

Short-tailed Shearwater - pretty good views of one flying south close
to shore on 9/30 at North Head

Great Egret - 10 east of Westport on 9/29

Long-billed Curlew - 26 at Graveyard Spit in Tokeland on 9/29

Red Knot - 4 Graveyard Spit 9/29

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - 1 Ocean Shores STP on 9/30 (same bird Knut
Hansen, George Gerdts, Paul Hicks saw on 9/29)

Black-legged Kittiwake - 2+ North Head 9/30

Parasitic Jaeger - 1 adult North Head 9/30

Pomarine Jaeger - 1 adult from Midway Beach locked feet with a
California Gull causing both to spiral down and hit the water, 2 more
adults from North Head one of which repeated this performance with
another California Gull, all 9/29

Yellow Warbler - 1 North Cove cranberry bogs 9/29

Lapland Longspur - 18+ Midway Beach 9/29

We also had a great night with owls on the 29th, starting with a
Barred before dusk at the North Head parking lot. After dark in
Chinook Valley we found 3 Barn, 2 Western Screech, 1 Great Horned and
1 Northern Saw-whet.

At Graveyard Spit in Tokeland on 9/29 we were treated to a continuous
stream of Variegated Meadowhawks migrating south, ranging from 105 to
165 passing by per minute in the early afternoon.

Good Birding,
Ryan Merrill
Kirkland