[Tweeters] West Seattle Greenbelt and Waterfront

Paul Webster paul.webster at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 16:38:25 PDT 2011

Hi Tweets,

Yesterday, October 7, Barbara and I took advantage of the warmish weather
for a familiar walk down SW Bonair Ave, across Alki Blvd at 52nd St and
north to Duwamish Head, across the Don Armeni park/boat launch and then up
California Avenue SW and the (69!) steps up to Sunset Ave SW and back home
near 47th Ave SW and Sunset. Bird activity drew us into the greenbelt on
Bonair Ave SW for 30 minutes where we ran into a foraging flock of: one late
WESTERN TANAGER and a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER, also ANNA 'S
HUMMINGBIRD, STELLER'S JAY, BLACK-CAPPED and CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES,
GOLDEN-CROWNED and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, BEWICK'S WREN, AMERICAN ROBIN,
ORANGE-CROWNED, (Audubon's) YELLOW-RUMPED, and TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS, SPOTTED
TOWHEE, FOX and SONG SPARROWs,

Then along the Alki Blvd shoreline we had a fly-by of three HARLEQUIN DUCKS,
and spotted a COMMON LOON, 18 HORNED, two WESTERN, and three RED-NECKED
GREBES. At Don Armeni Park we found NORTHERN FLICKER, SAVANNAH,
WHITE-CROWNED, GOLDEN-CROWNED, and HOUSE SPARROWS, and a DARK-EYED JUNCO.
Adding in the crows, pigeons, Double-crested Cormorants, and three gull
species (Mew, California, and Glaucous-winged) we had found 32 species
without raptors and only a single duck species.

Good birding,

Paul Webster
West Seattle
paul.webster AT comcast.net