[Tweeters] A very wet turkey vulture on San Juan Island

Monika Wieland monika.wieland at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 12:38:03 PDT 2011

Yesterday (10/9) afternoon I was at Lime Kiln State Park on San Juan
Island when I noticed a large bird in the water. I assumed it was a bald
eagle trying to swim to shore after catching a fish that was too heavy
to take off with, but upon closer inspection I realized it was actually
a juvenile turkey vulture! It successfully made to the rocks, then
sunned itself and managed to take a short flight up into a tree 45
minutes after reaching shore. I've posted photos of the whole ordeal on
my blog here:

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Any theories as to how a
vulture could end up in the water? The only things I could think of were
either that it ran out of energy trying to cross the strait from
Vancouver Island, or went down to investigate something in the water and
got caught by a wave (though it was pretty calm yesterday).

You never know what you're going to see out there! This was certainly a
new one for me.

Monika Wieland
Friday Harbor, WA
mailto:monika.wieland at gmail.com