[Tweeters] Renton Backyard Birds

Nina Bohn ninabohn at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 13:31:16 PDT 2011

Good Afternoon Tweets, this is my first post so I hope I do it correctly.

I think Tim’s yard bird codes is a great idea. I’m in Renton as well but a little further West of Tim and right on the Pipeline so I get some interesting birds. Several of the same as those Tim posted but in different numbers and at different intervals, no Hutton’s Vireo yet, and the ‘babies’ I had this year were amazing. I had a baby Pileated Woodpecker and several juvenile Black-headed Grosbeaks that hung around gorging on home-made suet until it was time to migrate. I have a deck where I have seed, nectar and suet feeders and a hopper feeder in my yard below the deck. Several birds come up to the feeders daily, some hang out in a huge tree next to the deck (Cooper’s Hawk), and some just stay below deck (American Robin.)

My list with yard bird codes:

Category 1 - in my yard any day – American Goldfinch (25+), Spotted Towee, Black-capped Chickadee, Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Northern Flicker, Stellar’s Jay, Bushtits (25+), American Crow, American Robin, Downy Woodpecker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, European Starling (although I make sure they don’t stay long), Dark-eyed Junco, House Sparrows, Anna’s Hummingbird, House Finch, Pine Siskins (regulars when they are here – have only seen one this year and she didn’t look well so I don’t think she made it)

Category 2 - in my yard on an awful lot of days but not every day – Red-breasted Sapsucker, Cedar Waxwing (when they are here), Cooper’s Hawk, White-crowned Sparrow, Purple Finch, Golden-crowned Sparrow

Category 3 - in my yard at least once a year, but not an awful lot – Evening Grosbeak (haven’t seen them yet this year), Golden-crowned Kinglet

Category 4 - Unusual, not every year – Common Yellowthroat, Varied Thrush, Western Scrub-Jay (only saw once and this was the first year)

Category 5 - not likely to see it again– Osprey, Red-tailed Hawk, Great-blue Heron

-Nina Bohn
Renton