[Tweeters] Fill Mourning

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:27:49 PDT 2011

Hey tweets, a Mourning Dove led off a gorgeous morning at the Fill
today. I found it perched in the Triple Tree (the 3-trunked Poplar in
Hunn Meadow East). The wind must have blown it in. Considering the
weather we had yesterday, I'm surprised a Mourning Dove was the most
exotic windblown residue - I was hoping for Steller's Sea Eagle at
least, or possibly Blue-footed Booby, depending on whether the most
sustained winds were westerlies or southerlies. Still, a Mourning Dove
is a great bird for the Fill - we don't get one every year.

Also present today were a flock of Greater White-fronted Geese, a lone
Cackling Goose flying around and calling incessantly, a late Yellow
Warbler, in company with an Orange-crowned and more than 150 Yellow-
rumped Warblers down at East Point, a pair of Belted Kingfishers
wooing on SW Pond (they do so loudly and disgruntledly, in case you
want to know), and a gorgeous male Purple Finch in the native scrub on
the east side of SW Pond.

My favorite bird of the day, though, was a Virginia Rail, who came out
onto the path at SW Pond and was obliviously foraging for worms almost
within touching distance of me on my camp stool. When a sudden breeze
made my hat flap, the rail gave a startled squawk and flew (!) from
the path all the way to the western end of SW Pond. I have rarely seen
a Virginia Rail fly, and never so far. It was a surprisingly graceful
and strong flyer, unlike its cousin the American Coot, who looks like
a football dragging a couple of long feet beneath its belly when it
flies.

The Cooper's Hawks are conducting courtship now as well, Wilson's
Snipes abound, and the Ruby-crowned Kinglets are back. A Western
Meadowlark has been present in Hunn Meadow West, although I did not
see it today. So far this year, my total number of species is 145. -
Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com