[Tweeters] re: The Big Year

wong chupaflor at igc.org
Thu Oct 13 18:00:08 PDT 2011

Hi Tweets,

Regarding the Great Spotted Woodpecker in Oregon, I recall reading an
interview some months ago with the videographer who shot many of the
bird scenes for "The Big Year." He mentioned that he tried to
convince the producers that some of the scenes were exaggerated or
completely out of context. If I remember correctly, the Spotted
Woodpecker was one of the birds he mentioned in this regard. As Barry
stated, the movie certainly exhibits Hollywood liberties.

Although I found the movie to be mostly entertaining, I believe that
non-birders might not enjoy it as much as an avid birder would. For a
comedy, it was amusing, but not as funny as I would expect.

I do recommend this movie to other birders, even with some of its bird-
related overstated moments.

happy birding,
isadora arevalo wong
seattle, wa