[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR

Paul Webster paul.webster at comcast.net
Tue Oct 18 18:14:54 PDT 2011

Hi Tweets,

Barbara and I birded at Nisqually NWR today, October 18. The weather was
chilly and overcast early, but the clouds started breaking up around 10:00
and we had bright sunshine before noon, with afternoon temps reaching about
65 degrees. High tide was around 11 a.m. and peaked at just over 12 feet.
That pushed in a few shorebirds. Our best bird today was probably the
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW we saw at the boardwalk junction near the Twin Barns.

We logged 51 species for the day, we that was pretty good considering that
we found only 11 species of waterfowl, and very low numbers of some of them:
about 10 AMERICAN WIGEON, 4 RING-NECKED DUCK, and a single SURF SCOTER.
Shorebirds included smallish numbers of BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, KILLDEER,
GREATER YELLOWLEGS, LEAST SANDPIPER, and DUNLIN. We logged 6 species of
raptors: two BALD EAGLES, 2 NORTHERN HARRIERS, a SHARP-SHINNED and a
COOPER'S HAWK, 2 RED-TAILS, and 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS. We also found a few
stragglers: 4 BARN SWALLOWS near the beginning of the new boardwalk, also 2
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT and 2 SAVANNAH SPARROWS nearby.

Oddly, we missed ROCK PIGEON and NORTHERN FLICKER. And are we the only ones
who haven't seen the GREAT EGRET?

Good birding!

Paul Webster
Seattle