[Tweeters] Black-tailed gull present today

Joe and Poody Regan and McLaughlin thestonechat at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 21:58:42 PDT 2011

We arrived at the Gilmur wayside on Commencement Bay after 3 pm. In 10 minutes or so Joe spotted a gull with a darker mantle (than the surrounding CA gulls) that had its bill tucked in. The light was flat and its tail was obscured by surrounding gulls. It was on a log boom to the right, in front of the large, round metal float. We watched the resting bird for about 40 minutes through our scope. Thankfully it finally spread its wings and hopped to the front log which provided us with a clear view of its black tail, white rump, yellow legs, and distinctive smoky-colored marks around its neck. All in all we watched it until 5:15, when it flew to the north log boom, where it was obscured by other gulls.

We had tried to see the bird on Oct. 10 and 11, but gave it one last go today before we head home. Many thanks to Shep who provided us with great info and encouragement on the 10th!

Joe Regan
Poody McLaughlin
Missoula, Montana