[Tweeters] Cooper's Hawk vs. Western Scrub Jay

Leah Lee sobelee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:11:43 PDT 2011

Tweets -

An oldie (from two months ago) but a goody: Witnessed either a Cooper's Hawk
or Sharp-shinned hawk swoop down and grab a Western scrub Jay right off the
branch! It happened so quickly and silently I wasn't able to positively ID
which kind of raptor is was, but based upon feedback from the great
volunteers at the Seattle Audubon Nature Shop, I'm now thinking it was
probably a Cooper's Hawk (due to my neighbor's loud chicken coop).

I walked around the kill site for more than 30 minutes and could find no
sign, not one single feather, of what had just occurred.

Leah Lee
Seattle (Central District)
sobelee at gmail.com