[Tweeters] Cooper's Hawk vs. Western Scrub Jay

Leah Lee sobelee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:11:43 PDT 2011

Tweets -

An oldie (from two months ago) but a goody: Witnessed either a Cooper's Hawk
or Sharp-shinned hawk swoop down and grab a Western scrub Jay right off the
branch! It happened so quickly and silently I wasn't able to positively ID
which kind of raptor is was, but based upon feedback from the great
volunteers at the Seattle Audubon Nature Shop, I'm now thinking it was
probably a Cooper's Hawk (due to my neighbor's loud chicken coop).

I walked around the kill site for more than 30 minutes and could find no
sign, not one single feather, of what had just occurred.

--
Leah Lee
Seattle (Central District)
sobelee at gmail.com