[Tweeters] BioBlitz

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 04:21:11 PDT 2011

Hey tweets, don't forget about BioBlitz on Saturday at the Arboretum
in Seattle. It's a citizen-science attempt to document every species
in the park on one day. Email me privately for details.

Also, for all you mushroom fans out there, Friends of Yesler Swamp is
sponsoring a mushroom walk on Sunday. The walk through the swamp is
going to be led by Dr. Joe Ammarati, professor of mycology at UW. For
more details, go to Friends of Yesler Swamp's website. I don't suppose
you knew it (I certainly didn't), but there's a fungus among us, and
it lives in the swamp.

At the Fill yesterday, a beautiful Northern Harrier swooped into the
field west of Main Pond, soaring on a glidepath like an F-14 coming in
for a landing. Just before it hit the runway, it spread out its
feathers and immediately converted into traditional harrier mode,
teetering over the short grass and cattails. It came so close to me, I
thought it might land on my wrist, but instead, it turned its disk-
face to me, gave me a long look, and turned back to business. For that
brief moment, I almost knew what it was like to have wings.

Also on view yesterday: American Pipit, 3 Western Scrub-Jays, numerous
Lincoln's Sparrows, a late Savannah, and Cooper's Hawks courting. Over
the past few days, we've also hosted a Northern Shrike, 2 Western
Meadowlarks, Buffleheads, Ruddy Ducks, Horned Grebes, California
Gulls, and Mourning Dove.- Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com