[Tweeters] Short-eared Owl at Fort Flagler SP

Joe jfbaier3 at aol.com
Fri Oct 21 21:19:01 PDT 2011

This morning I almost walked right up to a Short-eared Owl on the ground near the trail on the spit near the RV camp area at Fort Flagler. I didn't see it until it took off from about 10 feet away. It landed again just 30-40 feet away. This probably was the best view I'll ever have of one of these birds! Later, I saw that crows had discovered the owl and pursued it over the bay toward Port Townsend.
Later in the day I was in Port Townsend and found an Eurasian Collared-dove on a wire near China Gardens and North Beach. I'm sure they've been around, but that's the first I've seen in Port Townsend.

Joe Baier
Port Ludlow, WA
jfbaier3 at aol.com