[Tweeters] Short-eared Owl seen at Nisqually NWR Thursday 10/20/11

vogelfreund at comcast.net vogelfreund at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 17:50:30 PDT 2011

It reminds me of a sighting I had at Nisqually of the Short-eared Owl back in the early 1980s. I can't find it on my eBird list, so I hope I can dig it up out of my scribbled old notes. Anyway, I saw one flying low and landing in the tall grass, etc. So I reported it to the refuge office; a woman was in there. She rejected my sighting out of hand, saying that it was too early for them to be there. But it was there, and I saw it. I don't recall the date.

Phil Hotlen
Bellingham, WA