[Tweeters] RFI: Do We Really Need/Want Mute Swan on Our State List?

Eugene Hunn enhunn323 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 10:28:56 PDT 2011

Barry,

I think the collared dove is quite a different kettle of fish. Their
explosive expansion across the US in a generally northwesterly direction
since first detected in Florida in the mid-1980s closely parallels a
comparable expansion north and west in Europe from their original stronghold
in the eastern Mediterranean. Collared doves have quite amazing powers for
colonization. They managed to locate and settle isolated desert oases in
Arizona and California and, I understand, have landed on boats offshore of
the West Coast. Though it is presumed they originated in the New World from
introductions in the Bahamas, it seems to me that they could just as well
given their explosive expansion across Europe have colonized "naturally,"
much as did Cattle Egrets. If that is the case, they are not an "introduced"
invasive species, but rather a species that for whatever reason has
undergone an explosive expansion under their own power. Perhaps the Barred
Owl is a better analog.

Gene Hunn

Lurking in Petaluma, California

PS: Eurasian Collared-Doves are everywhere in my area and considerably
outnumber Mourning Doves, though I have yet to see evidence of direct
competition.