[Tweeters] RFI - Black-backed Woodpecker

Mike Munts muntsm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:53:37 PDT 2011

Judy and others,

I am the wildlife biologist at the Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge. The area Judy is referring too is in the far SW corner of the refuge. The fire occurred in Sept 2010 and is currently providing excellent habitat for many woodpeckers and other birds. We have seen Black-backed, American Three-toed, Hairy, Downy, White-headed, Pileated Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Red-naped Sapsuckers and least one Williamson’s Sapsucker during migration. This is one of the best woodpecker sites I have seen in several years. Although this is part of the main refuge it is not connected by road to our main road system. So as has been mentioned it is accessed by the Moran Creek county road. I have detailed directions from either Spokane or Colville if folks would like to contact the refuge headquarters. Sorry I don’t have the file at home where I am sending this message. Keep in mind the last couple of miles of this route is a dirt county road with minimal maintenance and a high clearance vehicle would be a good idea. Also keep in mind this area is higher than Spokane and certainly the Puget Sound and so snow may occur at any time now. So be prepared for winter conditions. If you are prepared for the conditions this location is currently a very worthwhile birding site.

Mike Munts
Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge
Colville, WA

509-684-8384

michael_munts at fws.gov