[Tweeters] The movie... The Big Year...

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Tue Oct 25 12:47:30 PDT 2011

Bob,

In addition to Ron Force's good comments, I can add that not only didn't you see Attu, you didn't see High Island (which looks quite different from those scenes) either.

Several of us saw it and liked it a lot, even though it rode roughshod over the actual story, the actual locations, and the actual birds! In fact, at the beginning it said something like "This is based on a true story. Only the facts have been changed." I'm sure it made a much more palatable story to general moviegoers than if it had stayed true to the book. How could you not like those three actors?

I had planned on keeping a list of all the birds seen and heard, but there were too many right at the beginning, and I gave that up so I could enjoy the movie. I couldn't have identified all those computer-generated birds anyway.

Dennis

On Oct 25, 2011, at 12:01 PM, tweeters-request at mailman1.u.washington.edu wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 16:15:43 -0700

> From: Bob Hansen <bobhansen at gorge.net>

> Subject: [Tweeters] The movie... The Big Year...

> To: Tweeters Posting <tweeters at u.washington.edu>

> Folks,

> Last Friday I saw the movie The Big Year. Though this movie is not getting great reviews in Portland, OR, I think birders, or people who know birders will like it. For one thing, I got to see for the first time High Island, Texas, and Attu, Alaska...

> I am not sure the Great Spotted Woodpecker can be found between Coos Bay and San Francisco, and I almost want to see if what they were calling a Great Spotted Woodpecker was actually a Hairy Woodpecker.

> I have first hand knowledge of couples who divorced because of birding and couples who got married because of birding.

> I highly recommend seeing it sooner rather than later, because there were only a handful of movie goers in the showing I saw on a Friday evening.

> http://www.thebigyearmovie.com/

> Besides, you might get a few "Life Birds" out of the movie... ; )

> Happy Birding,

> Bob

-----
Dennis Paulson