[Tweeters] Fw: [OBOL] Murrelet Chase Results: Cascade Locks

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Tue Oct 25 19:49:14 PDT 2011

Second Skamania County record for Ancient Murrelet. Wilson Cady
Skamania County, WA

Please note: forwarded message attached

From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan at gmail.com>
To: OBOL <obol at oregonbirds.org>
Subject: [OBOL] Murrelet Chase Results: Cascade Locks
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:09:44 -0700

Jay Withgott and I drove to Cascade Locks to look for the reported Marbled Murrelet this afternoon. We looked until late in the day on the Oregon side before crossing into Washington. It was good that we did. From an overlook west of Stevenson (just opposite the entrance road to Skamania Lodge) we found a reasonable view. From high on the bluff we could see the Sternwheeler and Marina slightly to the southwest. We saw one of each:ANCIENT MURRELET (we think both OR and WA)
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER (male) (OR & WA)
SURF SCR (male) close to OR shoreline
RED-THROATED LOON (WA side)
RED-NECKED GREBE (OR side)Bad digiscoped photos of the murrelet were taken when it floated past us.From Government Cove road we saw a huge raft of coots ?and wigeon on the river that included three Eurasian types, the two males looking like hybrids plus a female. Nearby was a fairly close EARED GREBE.Shawneen Finnegan and
Jay Withgott. (still driving home)