[Tweeters] Little Pend Oreille woodpeckers

Mike Munts muntsm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 20:07:30 PDT 2011

I took a break from working on the house for a it this afternoon an ran up to the Slide Creek Burn site. I spent about an hour in the burn and saw Hairy, Black-backed and American Three-toed Woodpeckers, and a Northern Flicker. In addition to the woodpeckers had Red-breasted, White-breasted and Pygmy Nuthatches, Mountain and Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Brown Creeper, Evening Grosbeaks, Red Crossbills, a Common Raven, a Cooper’s Hawk. At no point was I not able to hear at least 2 woodpeckers tapping and most of the time it was 4 or 5 birds. At point I had American Three-toed, Black Backed and Hairy in view at the same time. While flickers were out of site but were heard calling. That is 4 woodpecker species at single point. Did not see Pileated, White-headed or Downy but all three of these were sited here earlier in the week by birders from Spokane. I was able to observe a male Hairy excavating a cavity presumably for a winter roost. Overall not bad for 1 hour and about a few hundred yards.

Mike Munts
Colville