[Tweeters] Neah Bay: C.Egret and C-C. Sparrow

Nigel Ball nigelj.ball at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:51:18 PDT 2011

Miserable weather but good birding at Neah Bay today. Highlights were a
CATTLE EGRET (beside the river Waatch) and a surprisingly elusive
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW (opposite the cultural center (old coastguard
station?)). Fortunately I got decent (in the documentation rather than
artistic or photographic sense) photos which I will post as soon as
Surfbirds is back up.
Ebirds doesn't show many records of either for Clallam. Interestingly, the
autumn peak of clay-colored sparrow in Washington appears to be the last
week of October/ first week of November.
Also of note one PIED-BILLED GREBE, one WESTERN MEADOWLARK and about 7,000
CALIFORNIA GULLS. Given the reports of mass movements in Oregon and fewer
two weeks ago, I had expected the numbers to be down, but this is the most
I've seen there this year.
Nigel Ball
Bainbridge Island
nigelj.ball at gmail.com