[Tweeters] Stevens & Pend Oreille Shorebirds

Michael Hobbs BirdMarymoor at frontier.com
Tue Sep 13 12:59:37 PDT 2011

Hi all – I’m on my 3rd day of a 4 day swing through E. WA, hitting Stevens County yesterday and Pend Oreille today.
Yesterday, at m.p. 54 on SR-25 near Gifford, there were two COMMON TERN on the sandbar island. Then I stopped at Key Point near Kettle Falls (Stevens), and the spot looked wonderful but yielded only 2 GREATER YELLOWLEGS and about 8 WILSON’S SNIPE.
The big bonanza was at the Colville STP, where I found 12 species of shorebird!
Killdeer Several
Semipalmated Plover 1
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 6?
Lesser Yellowlegs 4?
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper 1
Western Sandpiper 5
Least Sandpiper 8?
Baird’s Sandpiper 4
Pectoral Sandpiper 7?
Wilson’s Snipe 8
Today, in P.O. County, the best birding was along the riverside road that runs north from the Pow Wow grounds. I had CINNAMON TEAL and BLUE-WINGED TEAL, about a dozen yellowlegs, about evenly split between GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and several AMERICAN PIPIT. There were 2-3 NORTHERN HARRIER around Calispel Lake.
And just a few minutes ago, I had a SEMIPALMATED PLOVER and another yellowlegs on a sand spit along Le Clerc Rd. S., near the entrance to the Saddle Ranch Resort.
Oh, and this morning I was awoken by a BARRED OWL at the first campground along Tacoma Creek Rd. northwest of Cusick.
== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== http://www.marymoor.org/BirdBlog.htm