[Tweeters] Italian Sparrow split

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Thu Sep 22 12:09:06 PDT 2011

Phil and Tweeters,

Just because one scientific paper claims that the Italian Sparrow is a valid species does not mean that the scientific community agrees with that claim. In the US, it sometimes takes several scientific papers which reach the same conclusion, and years of debate, before the AOU Checklist Committee agrees to make a change in their classification. I would expect the same to be true for European birds and the BOU committee, or whichever committee has jurisdiction there.

So, even if the researchers’ conclusions about the Italian Sparrow are correct, don’t sit waiting with baited breath for various organizations to change their official lists to include the Italian Sparrow. It may be many years away.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus at telus.net