[Tweeters] Ocean Shores-Westport-Tokeland on 9/24/11

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 20:12:04 PDT 2011

Jay Withgott (Portland, OR), Ron Martin (Minot, ND) and I visited Ocean
Shores, Westport, and Tokeland on Saturday to do some shorebirding and brief
moments of non-shorebirding with the following results:

*Point Brown:*

Parasitic Jaeger: 2
Sooty Shearwater: 70+
Horned Grebe: 1
Western Grebe: 5
Pacific Loon: 5
Common Loon: 2
Green-winged Teal: yes
Northern Pintail: yes
Northern Shoveller: yes
Common Murre: 1
Pigeon Guillemot: 3
Bonaparte's Gull: 2
assorted gulls
assorted cormorants
American Pipits ~10

*Oyhut Wildlife Area:*

Pacific Golden Plover 20(! - most I've ever seen including one flock of 13
with 2 AMGP). 1st Pac GP detected by call overhead. Flock of 15 GPs landed
and we studied them for over an hour
American Golden Plover 2
Black-bellied Plover 18
Semipalmated Plover 5
Killdeer 10
Sanderling 35
Pectoral Sandpiper 8
Baird's Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Whimbrel 3
Long-billed Dowitcher 15
Western Sandpiper 30

*Bowerman Basin (short stop due to tide)*

Semipalmated Plover 8
Least Sandpiper 35
Killdeer 2

*Bottle Beach (tide not good for shorebird observation)*

Marbled Godwit 2
Black-bellied Plover 150
Dunlin 20
Western Sandpiper ~75