[Tweeters] re: banding dippers

dave templeton crazydave65 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 17:10:17 PDT 2012

putting bands of any size on dippers sounds kinda dumb to me. the thing
that crosses my mind is not getting stuck between rocks, but rather getting
caught in currents as well as general drag in the water. if it fit tight,
it wouldn't be a problem, but anything loose could cause trouble or require
the bird to use extra energy to compensate. the possibility of problems
from banding, while remote, is not impossible. i lost a caigue a number of
years ago when she caught her band between welded wire and a nest box.
caiques are especially prone to panic, and she got herself trapped sometime
late in the day and by the next morning when i came in to feed the birds
she was hanging dead from the side of the cage. caiques are among the most
amusing of the parrots (although they bite like crocodiles), and i miss her
once again just typing this. it would take more reason than mere curiosity
for me to band a dipper.

dave templeton
fall city, wa

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today; it's already tomorrow
in Australia." Charles Schultz