[Tweeters] Stillwater Loggerhead Shrike

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Sat Apr 7 19:05:43 PDT 2012

Sharon Aagard and I spent the morning at Stillwater and at
Tolt-MacDonald Park in Carnation. Pretty frosty at the start, eventually
warming to a day that actually felt like Spring. I got to the park early
and was rewarded with a Barn Owl cruising the campground. Other notables

Rufous Hummingbird at both locations
Evening Grosbeak - a good size flock vocalizing over the park for an
extended period. We only saw three but there were many more
Red-breasted Sapsuckers at both sites; at Stillwater, one had a pretty
decent hole excavated
Belted Kingfisher - a pair at the river's cut at Stillwater; the bank
here has been severely gouged so they may be looking for a new burrow
Common Yellowthroat - along the trail at Stillwater; singing brightly
(FOY for both of us)
Yellow-rumped Warblers (Audubon's) were singing everywhere and in very
bright breeding plumage
Lincoln's Sparrow - a very wet and bedraggled individual at Stillwater
Best bird of the day was the Loggerhead Shrike in the meadows at
Stillwater. Very white belly, thick eye mask and a relatively short
stubby bill convinced us of the ID (photo available).

Scott Ramos