[Tweeters] Sunday morning in Renton

Mechejmch mechejmch at aol.com
Sun Apr 8 21:03:16 PDT 2012

Thanks to all who offered suggestions about places to squeeze in a little birding in a new place for me. You probably noticed what a great day it was, so I don't have to go into the weather report.
The first thing I heard when I left the hotel was a singing White-crowned Sparrow. What could have been the same bird was still at it when I returned over two hours later!

I was at the mouth of the Cedar River for a chilly, yet perfectly-timed moonset/sunrise this morning. Buffleheads and Common Goldeneyes were waking near the mouth and Song Sparrows and American Goldfinches accompanied me as I walked about a half-mile upstream. I also found and photographed a strange white bird that I'll have to throw out for discussion later.

Then, I visited the Black River Riparian Forest, and saw hoodies and woodies, Gadwalls, Buffleheads, Green-winged Teal, and a few passerines including singing Bewick's Wrens and Brown Creepers. No heron activity but lots of starter nests in the treetops. I was really impressed with the potential that's certain to be realized in another month. Great place to add to my list of places to revisit.

So, one more thank you to all who responded. Now I know where to bird in Renton!

Joe Meche
Bellingham