[Tweeters] Loggerhead at Fill

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:32:24 PDT 2012

Hey tweets, today was a lucky, lucky day at the Fill, despite the
date. A LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE materialized out of the mist, in a cloud of
small birds, and perched in bright sunlight in the willow tree at the
south end of Main Pond. It did not mind being looked at, unlike any
other shrike I've ever seen, so I got killer looks. Then it flew into
the tree beside the Reading Rocks and disappeared from view. I believe
it is still at the Fill, although historically shrikes have never
stayed for long here.

Out in Hunn Meadow West, a Merlin was coursing for similar small
birds. Later on, in the thermals being generated by our shy sun (must
be shy, since it hasn't allowed itself to be seen too much in the past
few months!), an Osprey and a Sharp-shinned Hawk spiraled around each
other in lazy circles, to be joined a bit later by an immature Bald
Eagle.

Two Orange-crowned Warblers foraged in Kern's Restoration Pond, along
with numerous Myrtle and Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warblers - you can
study the differences in the songs of these last two warblers before
they head north to breed. Cinnamon Teal pairs are in several areas
now, including University Slough and Yesler Cove. And Virginia Rails
are calling from every cattail clump, it seems. A jogger scared up one
that had ventured too close to the trail near Main Pond, and it
circled around the grove there before diving back into the reeds. Any
day you see a Virginia Rail is a great day, but when that day also
brings you a shrike, well, what words are adequate for that?

Yesterday a Greater Yellowlegs graced the Main Pond, and the day
before, 3 Wilson's Snipes. We've had 98 species for the year so far. -
Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com