[Tweeters] where is Arlo when we need him?

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 09:23:56 PDT 2012

The following "lyrics" were written by a friend of mine who has birded from Attu to Antarctica.  His name is also Hank H., which is not the end of the similarities, but I will omit the rest.

Hank Heiberg
Carnation, WA
karenhankatyahoodotcom

I thought I might relay a song that you might want to add to over time. The idea came from you, with thanks to Woody Guthrie (for the core lyrics) and David Allen Sibley (for some anatomical terms).

Chorus:
This bird is your bird, this bird is my bird,
From its median coverts, to its tibial feathers,
From the lateral crown-stripe, to the gonydeal angle,
This bird was made for you and me.

As I was birding a ribbon of highway,
I saw above me an endless flyway,
The flocks were migrating, the birds were calling,
This land was made for you and me.

Chorus

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts.
And all around me the birds were singing,
This bird was made for you and me

Chorus

The sun comes rising as I was birding,
With morning chorus, and a cup of coffee.
The fog was lifting, the birds came chanting,
This bird was made for you and me

Chorus

As I was walkin'  -  I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side
.... was a rare, rare life bird!
Now that bird was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple,
Near the birdin' headquarters - I hear some talkin',
And some are splittin', and some are lumpin',
I hope this bird's still there for you and me.