[Tweeters] Where are the hummers?

Joe Dlugo browncreeper99 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 07:57:51 PDT 2012

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for posting this. Last week I posted about anna's & rufous
hummingbirds in my neighbhorhood questioning whether anna's were a bit
tougher in holding territories and keeping the rufous out of my
neighborhood which has notoriously been occupied VERY heavily with rufous
h-birds this time of year. However, in my travels down several miles of
the Chehalis Western Trail south of Yelm Highway, historically a haven for
rufous, I have seen very few. If I were to give a rough estimate, I'd say
sightings have declined about 75%. Sightings are down in areas that have
anna's h-birds and those that do not. I know of a number of trees/display
areas where male rufous have perched for several years and not a single one
has held a hummingbird this year. In 7 years of walking this section of
the trail I cannot remember any year where numbers have been this sparse,
and my suspicions now loom larger than just interactions with anna's.

-Joe Dlugo