[Tweeters] Juanita and West Snoqualmie Valley

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 09:37:45 PDT 2012

Yesterday after taking our grandchildren to Help at the Seattle Children's Theater, my wife and I birded Juanita Bay Park and the west side of the Snoqualmie Valley between the Redmond-Fall City Road and Tolt Hill Road.

At JBP we were excited to see two Virginia Rails in the wetlands west of the western boardwalk, to see a Chickadee repeatedly enter what sounded to be an active nest in a dead tree east of the middle boardwalk and to see a Downy Woodpecker about 3 feet off the middle boardwalk working away and totally oblivious to us.

We drove up West Snoqualmie Valley and saw the following birds without leaving our car.  In the pond across from Tall Chief Golf Course we saw 5 Lesser Scaup, a Canada Goose, 3 Hooded Mergansers and a Mallard.  Then across from the entrance toTall Chief we saw a Red-tailed Hawk in a tree.  By the way, Tall Chief is closed and awaiting development.  Wouldn't it be great if it were turned into a park as was Juanita Golf Course.  Anyway, a little further north a California Quail ran across the road.  Then near the platform in the Carnation Marsh used by Ospreys for nesting we spotted an Osprey.  Turning right onto Tolt Hill Road we saw a Bald Eagle landing on its nest which is located on the southern border of Tolt MacDonald Park.

Hank Heiberg
Carnation, WA
karenhankatyahoodotcom