[Tweeters] Re: Poof, its gone

Christine Southwick clsouth at u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 20 07:56:32 PDT 2012

Keep reporting your observations.

Owls, hawks, falcons, eagles, osprey, all need to eat.

And because they eat prey that we can see and watch, humans start paying attention when these predators start declining due to contaminates, like DDT, that can adversely affect our health.

Predation by native species on native species helps keep nature in balance. Take away native predators, and the species that provided the meals becomes over-populated, and often causes other imbalances, like over-browsing forests in order not to starve to death. And when young trees are eaten, forests can't renew, and die, leaving even less habitat for birds.

For interesting reading,

Christine Southwick
N Seattle/Shoreline
clsouthwick at q.com