[Tweeters] South King County - 4/21

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 12:09:26 PDT 2012

Hi Tweets,

I went out for an early morning chase, and a leisurely walk with the kids today with interesting results in both cases. I followed up on an ebird posting from Charlie Wright for a Sora and American Bittern at the 212th street ponds in Kent. Missed on the Bittern but was able to see (!) a Virginia Rail, two Wilson's Snipe, and at the very end of walking the loop around the ponds - the Sora, calling once, seen through the reeds, then flushing from the East side of the ponds to the denser reeds.

Later in the morning, I made a walk from my home through Renton Park, to Lindbergh HS and back. In Renton Park, I experienced the changing of the thrushes - I've noticed that Varied Thrushes are there through the winter, Swainson's in the summer, and right around now, I've found Hermit Thrushes, with one in the park this morning. I also had, over the course of the walk, 6 species of finches - Purple, House, and American Gold-, as well as Pine Siskins Evening Grosbeaks and Red Crossbills. I actually had two new birds for my park list today as well: Cackling Geese flying overhead, and an early Hammond's Flycatcher!

Happy birding!
-Tim Brennan
Renton