[Tweeters] Lincoln Park, Wednesday, April 25

Paul Webster paul.webster at comcast.net
Wed Apr 25 16:00:35 PDT 2012

Hi Tweets,

Barbara and I dropped in at Lincoln Park near the Fauntleroy ferry terminal
this morning about 9:00. The temps were a Seattle spring-like 55 degrees
with spitting intermittent rain. We spent about two hours walking through
the woods, departing when the rain became steady.

The birds were perched up singing almost loud enough to drown out the
traffic on Fauntleroy Ave: ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS seemed to be singing
everywhere, and the crows and STELLER'S JAYS came together to harass a
BARRED OWL, while its mate slipped quietly into the nest box to avoid the
disturbance. We also found our first two BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS of
the season. We found no flycatchers or vireos, but they should be here any
day now. Something new for us was a BROWN CREEPER that flew up from near
the ground and spiraled close to the tree trunk several times as it flew
up. Then it repeated the maneuver. Perhaps a mating display?

Altogether we found 23 species:

Osprey-- 1 overhead
Bald Eagle -- 2
Barred Owl -- 2