[Tweeters] SE Arizona Trip

Jeremiah Alexander jkalexan at u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 27 09:57:51 PDT 2012

First off, a big thank you too everyone who gave me recs on where to bird in SE Arizona. I spent a (mostly) fun week down there and got to see some great birds.

Birding Spots:
Sweetwater Wetlands
Mt Lemmon
Sabino Canyon
Catalina State Park
Paton's Feeders (Patagonia)
Cave Creek B&B (Portal)
South Fork Cave Creek
some feeders in Paradise, can't remember the name
AMNH Southwestern Research Station
Rustler Park
Ramsey Canyon
Ash Canyon B&B
Fort Huachuca
Madera Canyon
Florida Wash

I had a great time the first half of my trip and really LOVED the Chiricahua Mountains, though I think the fires really have had a significant impact on the birding. Scenery there is still amazingly beautiful though. Dipped on Mexican Chickadee, but on one of my stops to find it picked up an early Red-faced Warbler, so that worked out alright... Tons of Painted Redstarts everywhere, and on my last day saw a lot of Olive Warblers as well. Unfortunately, struck out of Elegant Trogon five days in a row (largely due to food poisoning) but it just means I'll have to head back someday.

Life Birds (total of 28!!!):
Scaled Quail
Gray Hawk
Northern Pygmy-Owl
Lesser Nighthawk
Violet-crowned Hummingbird
Broad-tailed Hummingbird
Magnificent Hummingbird
Calliope Hummingbird
Blue-throated Hummingbird
Arizona Woodpecker
Greater Pewee
Dusky-capped Flycatcher
Say's Phoebe
Buff-breasted Flycatcher
Chihuahuan Raven
Mexican Jay
Plumbeous Vireo
Bridled Titmouse
Brewer's Sparrow
Yellow-eyed Junco
Grace's Warbler
Painted Redstart
Red-faced Warbler
Hermit Warbler
Olive Warbler
Summer Tanager
Hepatic Tanager
Scott's Oriole

Thanks again to everyone who gave me recommendations, and happy birding all!

Jeremiah Alexander
Seattle, WA