[Tweeters] Whimbrel & Red Crossbills @ Discovery Park

Michael Fleming michaelfleming01 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 16:03:05 PDT 2012

I spent this morining and early afternoon birding around Discovery
Park and the weather was just about perfect. While at the beach near
the lighthouse I was talking to another birder (Matt) and we noticed 2
BRANT flying low towards us from out over the water and a smaller
brownish looking bird just behind below the Brant. The Brant veered
off to land near the shoreline but the other bird kept heading towards
us and then flew up and over the lighthouse. We were quite suprised
to see that it was a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK; pretty cool, never seen one
cruising low over Puget Sound.
About 15 minutes later a WHIMBREL came flying around the point and
landed along the north shoreline for some great scope views. I
believe this is the first time that I've had a Whimbrel at Discovery
Park. A little earlier in the day, before I made the trek down to the
beach I had a pair of RED CROSSBILL in the conifers near the
Other highlights included:

A pair of Marbled Murrelets
A few Rhinocerous Auklets
Pigeon Guillemot
Horned & Red-Necked Grebes (in breeding plumage)
Varied Thrush
Band-Tailed Pigeon
Orange-crowned, Wilson's, & Yellow-rumped (Audubon's) Warblers

Cheers and Good Birding;

Michael Fleming
Ballard, Washington
michaelfleming01 AT gmail.com