[Tweeters] "Fill" mammal question

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 02:11:40 PST 2012

Dear Jennifer, there are 7 beaver lodges circling the horseshoe of
Union Bay, so we have plenty of beavers at the Fill. One of the most
active beaver lodges is in Yesler Cove (the easternmost part of the
Fill). I believe the beaver who ambitiously chopped down the tree that
fell just behind the wooden bench (on the Loop Trail as you walk
toward East Point) came from that lodge. I counted at least 3 beavers
swimming near that lodge on the night of Jan. 1.

Historically, there have also been a lot of nutria at the Fill as
well. The wildlife officials (state ones, I believe) have been making
a big effort to get rid of this nonnative mammal. Two or three years
ago, they set out a number of live traps and caught 200 nutria. The
traps were still active last year (I haven't looked for them this year
yet), but I don't think they were catching much. I haven't seen a
nutria in a while.

We also get River Otters, muskrats, and mink. - Connie