[Tweeters] no Hawk Owl Friday, Okanogan Highlands birding

Neil and Carleen Zimmerman n3zims at comcast.net
Sat Feb 4 20:57:30 PST 2012

Hello Tweeters,
My wife and I spent two hours, 10 to noon, on Friday the 3rd looking in vain for the Hawk Owl. We looked though all the areas that have been mentioned the last 3 weeks on Tweeters. We are going to look again tomorrow. If you have had any luck the last two days, please let me know.

After looking for the owl, we headed up to Cameron Lake Road. We found a Prairie Falcon, several hundred Horned Larks and a dozen Gray Partridge. I also managed to get a bunch of Red Crossbills, Red-breasted and Pygmy Nuthatches and Mountain Chickadees very upset with me by tooting. No Pygmy Owls though. We spent the twilight hours at Moses Meadows looking for Great Grays with no luck.
Today we headed up to the Okanogan Highlands. We found a small group of Pine Grosbeaks on the Mary Ann Creek Rd. There were about 25 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches at the feeders at the log house on Neally Road. Nearby we also got a couple of nice looks at a juvenile Golden Eagle. We later had an adult Golden Eagle up near Chesaw. We went up Bolster Road out of Chesaw looking for Redpolls. We did not see any along the road but when we got back to Chesaw, there were about 20 Common Redpolls on the grandstands at the rodeo grounds.
We went into the Chesaw Tavern for lunch. The owner turns out to be a bird lover. We told her we were there looking around for Redpolls. She immediately went out and re-filled her feeders. We sat and had our burgers and beers watching the Redpolls at the feeders 6 inches away from the windows. Warm, drinking a beer and Redpolls, hard to beat. We always like getting to know and do business with the locals. I think it is important to let them know they have something special. When we left, her reader board said "Redpolls Here". Stop by and check it out if you are in Chesaw, say Hi to Pauline.
We headed over towards Loomis to finish the day. On the road to Fish Lake, we went by a cattle operation. There were at least 50 Turkeys and 200 CA Quail hanging around the feed areas. Farther down the road, we found 4 more Gray Partridge. As the day was winding down and we neared Loomis, we found about 125 Bohemian Waxwings in a tree in one of the small orchards.
The weather has been awesome but a little cold, 8 degrees this morning by Chesaw. We have seen 8 Northern Shrikes, many Rough-legged hawks but no owls so far.

Neil Zimmerman
Brier, Wa