[Tweeters] Feathers are not from McKay's Bunting

Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:57:20 PST 2012

Just to let everybody know, The feathers found by Wilson Cady and group are
definitely *NOT* from the McKay's Bunting. Blair Bernson, Al Clark and I
also saw the feathers. I looked at the new book "Bird Feathers" by S David
Scott and Casey McFarland when I got home. The feathers we saw, closely
resemble *Black-bellied Plove*r. The tail feathers however, seemed more
barred like in *Greater* - or maybe *Lesser Yellowlegs.* They are too large
and not from the bunting. Wilson stated, that he will have the feathers
identified through US Fish & Wildlife and post the result on Facebook..

Let's stop the thread of the demise of the bunting now! It has not been
seen for several days and may indeed be gone. It could also be anywhere on
Damon Point. The needle in a haystack comes to mind in this vast area. We
did not observe any raptors there yesterday. The bird could only have
become victim of a Merlin or Peregrine, if it was flying. On the ground it
could fall prey to a Northern Harrier.

Here are my "Zwei Pfenning"!

*Hans Feddern*
Twin Lakes/Federal Way, WA