[Tweeters] IMA artifical grass follow-up

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 11:35:52 PST 2012

Which makes it all the more disappointing that they spent page after mind-numbing page in detailed discussion of neighborhood views (under Aesthetics) without a mention of wildlife. Also much discussion of lighting and its possible effects (or lack thereof) on surrounding neighborhoods, again with no mention at all of its possible effects on wildlife.

Seems to me that about the only thing that will change in the view is the absence of the birds that many of us have enjoyed in that field, and that isn't even mentioned. Those views were among the highest aesthetic appeals of what was otherwise a big, empty green field!

Any concern about changes in runoff was also not dealt with in any way. Connie, I assume you and others mentioned that to them. I didn't think to do so.

It's not too late for more people to respond to this SEIS.

Dennis

On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:31 AM, Connie Sidles wrote:

> Dear Clare, I could find nothing about impacts on wildlife in any of the SEIS papers on this link. I do not believe any study of wildlife was done. Furthermore, I did not find anything about possible effects of changing the drainage patterns of this field. The hydrology of the landfill (and this field is part of the landfill) is very complicated. We would not want polluted runoff entering University Slough, which borders the west of this playfield. University Slough empties into Lake Washington and provides good habitat for many birds of UBNA, mostly waterfowl, marsh birds (including breeding Virginia Rails), and riparian birds. I saw no study which compared runoff from artificial turf versus runoff from sod. - Connie

> On Feb 16, 2012, at 9:44 AM, Clare McLean wrote:

>> Hi, all.

>> Here is supplemental link I received from Jan Arntz-Richards:

>> http://f2.washington.edu/cpo/projects/sepa

>> Upon quick first glance, I don't see environmental impact on wildlife addressed in much detail here, but I could be wrong.

>> Has anyone else gathered any other info worth sharing on Tweeters?

>> Thanks,

>> Clare McLean

>> Seattle, WA

>> clareisehere at hotmail.com