[Tweeters] Ocean Shores today

Randy Hill re_hill at q.com
Sat Feb 18 20:59:00 PST 2012

I finally headed over to Ocean Shores today even though the weather forecast
was mostly accurate. Lot's of visitors to Damon Point and Brown Point jetty
area with the three day weekend. I managed to find most of what has been
reported over the last week or so, minus any bunting, but the wind blowing
either rain or sand was brutal at times, and all those white foam birds were
a distraction. The Emperor Goose took three attempts before I finally found
it around 2 pm with Dusky Canada Geese west of the theater, but viewed from
the west from the "suites" parking lot. I saw the King Eider around 8:30
but not later (although did find all three scoters further out). At that
rainy time there were 5 species of shorebirds using flooded portions of the
road at the RV park, including many Semipalmated Plovers. High tide was
shortly after that, and the trek out to the Snowy Owls had to wait (I didn't
hike out until noon and saw 4 or 5) after I watched waves push over the
narrow neck of the spit as when Ruth tried on Christmas Eve. A Clark's
Grebe accompanied a group of Western Grebes at the boardwalk area south of
the Interpretive Center. Three Horned Larks were trying to get out of the
wind on the riprap edge behind the Ocean Shores WTP, but didn't stay long
before heading back out to the grassy area behind. I saw about a dozen
kittiwakes over the bay looking south toward Westport, a single with a very
dark belly (stain?) at the very end of Damon Point, and one roosting on the
bay side of the Hoquiam WTP.

Randy Hill

Ridgefield