[Tweeters] Evening Grosbeaks: flock of 50

Kimberly Mason kz at tds.net
Sun Feb 26 13:55:01 PST 2012

I have more than my fair share of Evening Grosbeaks. Over the last few weeks the flock has grown from 16 birds -- which THRILLED me, I've never seen more than 2 at a time in years past -- to 26 (during the GBBC) and now there are 50 hanging out in my backyard.

In the GBBC, Lewis County birders -- from Tenino to Toledo, Adna to Cinebar -- counted 20% of the total number of EGs listed in WA state.

Can anyone tell me if this unusual for our area? Is anyone else seeing more than the usual numbers of EGs? Any ideas as to why this is happening?

If they stay much longer, I may need to take out a second mortgage or advertise, "Will work for black oil sunflower seeds."

Kimberly Mason
kz at tds.net
Cinebar, WA
http://blogs.chronline.com/dailybird