[Tweeters] Mason county birding request/info

judy mullally judyemull at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 29 08:21:06 PST 2012

A friend got me started on county bird listing and I've been doing a bit here and there when I can. I understand American coot is a challenge there so I thought I'd report my success at finding some (after numerous attempts) along Shelton-Matlock road at Nahwatzel Lake located just east of Matlock. They were visible from the road when we pulled off on the shoulder.

And for that tip, I'd appreciate someone's help at finding Northern shovelerts in Mason county. They're supposed to be a "1", but after many tries at every small lake I could find and several trips to Thieler wetlands I'm starting to wonder. So any help or pointers will be appreciated.