[Tweeters] Band-tailed pigeon behavior question

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 15:53:17 PST 2012

This is the male's display flight for the breeding season, which is extended in this species and many other pigeons and doves. Quite a few members of this family have similar flights. When you next see Eurasian Collared-Doves, watch them for a while. I also have seen Band-tails in display flight this spring.

On Mar 1, 2012, at 3:23 PM, notcalm at comcast.net wrote:

> Tweeters,

> Each year I observe Band-tailed pigeons on Mercer island. I believe they nest here. Recently I watched one flying at a very low speed-so slow that it did not seem possible to not fall- with all wing and tail feathers extended in full display near a second bird. Is this a courting ritual as seen in some other species or non-breeding stereotypical behavior? I have seen this behavior in past years. Very beautiful.

> Dan Reiff

> Mercer Island

Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.