[Tweeters] Band-tailed pigeon behavior question

notcalm at comcast.net notcalm at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 15:23:53 PST 2012

Tweeters,

Each year I observe Band-tailed pigeons on Mercer island. I believe they nest here. Recently I watched one flying at a very low speed-so slow that it did not seem possible to not fall- with all wing and tail feathers extended in full display near a second bird. Is this a courting ritual as seen in some other species or non-breeding stereotypical behavior? I have seen this behavior in past years. Very beautiful.

Dan Reiff
Mercer Island